Thursday, June 25, 2015

How to road trip (alone) with an active preschooler!

I just got home from a 9 hour (each way)  road trip alone with my 3 1/2 year old. With husband in the Army and away a lot,  this wasn't our first solo trip, and won't be our last! We've made the trip to Ohio to visit my family several times since little man was born (and from NC to TX as a family) and each time has had its own set of challenges, but we stay calm and get through it! 

*While I know that many people dislike the idea of using electronic with kids, we are ok with it in my house, in moderation. If you do not allow your kids to use electronics, skip those and try to other ideas I've suggested!


ForeverNestingMama.blogspot.com


Here are some tips to make a long car ride with a young child go smoothly for you and Fun for them!


Motion sickness
First, my kiddo sometimes get car sick. We've learned his triggers and try to work around them the biggest issue being dairy (milk) on an empty stomach. So I'm always careful now before a road trip to limit his milk intake and keep his belly full, but not too full, with meals and snacks. I also make sure to have a roll of paper towels, plastic bag and change of clothes in case we have a mess to clean up!

Food!
Speaking of drinks and snacks, I always bring a small cooler with drinks for both of us. I also pack individual portioned snacks that I can easily open and pass back to him with minimal effort. This either means buying individual sized bags or packing up a few ziplocks before we leave. I will add that I always pack too many snacks and usually hardly eat them, but I'd rather have too many than not enough when a wave of motion sickness comes on!

DVDs
We have a portable DVD Player that attaches to the car headrest. This is one of his main forms of entertainment most rides. Pop in a Disney movie or some Thomas shows and he's happy for awhile!

Tablet/iPad
This is the other big attention grabber for my son. We have a tablet loaded with fun and educational games that he loves! I'll admit to him watching (kid appropriate) you tube videos as well.

Books
I always pack him several books,  however these can sometimes be difficult when I'm traveling alone and he accidentally drops the book but still wants to read it. For the most part though, a few books are always a good thing! I only give him one activity/book/toy at a time, this way he doesn't play with everything we have in the first hour and then spends the rest of the trip bored and cranky.

Lap desk
We purchased a lap desk awhile back for another trip and he loves it! The one we have has a zippered pouch to hold paper and markers which is awesome! Kiddo loves to color so this keeps him entertained for awhile as well. My take on coloring in the car- markers mark up your seats and crayons melt in the heat-I only ever pack colored pencils or color wonder markers that only draw on the special paper to save my car from being destroyed!

Cars &  Trains
I usually toss a few cars and trains in a ziplock and kiddo likes 'driving'  those around on the lap desk or the window.

New Toys
Before a big trip, I usually make a Dollar Store trip and find a few new toys that I think kiddo will enjoy. Even though they are usually super cheap and break after day, that's ok, because it's the fact that it's a NEW toy that he's never played with before and it keeps his attention longer than a toy from home that he's played with 100 times already. I've found everything from "Cars" action figures to the little Army men for boys and new dolls for girls. On our most recent trip, one of our stops was in a pretty populated/commercial area and there wasn't anywhere to run off some energy, but we were near a Kmart. We hopped out of the car there and I had us walk all around the store, then let him pick out an inexpensive airplane toy. He was SO excited and actually still plays with it often! (See pic below of him showing me his new airplane!)

Pillow & Blanket
I always toss in a travel pillow and small blanket. I use the blankets we used to swaddle him in when he was a baby, they are big enough to cover his legs if he gets chilly in the car, but small enough to roll up and put in the pocket in the door when not in use. Sometimes all he needs is a little warmth to take a little cat nap!

Stops
We always fill up with gas, have cold drinks ready, and go potty right before we load up,  but no one can make it 9 hours without stopping for a meal and potty breaks. I try to time stops every 2-4 hours depending on how content he is with his activities. If he's happy (or sleeping), I'll keep driving (NEVER stop while they are sleeping if you can help it!!). If he's grumpy and squirmy, I'll start looking for a place to stop. We always try to find somewhere that has a play place or at least somewhere with a little grass where he can run around and burn off a little energy. Sometimes we will toss a soccer ball in the car to kick around at a rest stop.

Extra items
In addition to the paper towels and plastic bag, I always put a change of clothes for kiddo in the door pocket. This is also where I keep diapers and wipes for easy access at stops. (no,  little man is not potty trained yet, we are working on it...)

Distraction
When all else fails and kiddo gets antsy, we sing songs or I get him to start naming colors of things he sees to keep him busy while I find a place to stop. My kiddo is VERY energetic and if it means making an extra stop to keep both of us sane, it's worth the 15 minutes added to the trip!

I hope this helps give you some ideas on road tripping with young kiddos, leave me comments below with anything you do that I left out!! I plan to write a second blog with ideas for older kids in the upcoming weeks, so be on the lookout for that!

- A

No comments:

Post a Comment