Sunday, March 1, 2015

Carpet Stain Removal Trick!

If you've ever moved in to a "previously owned" home, or have kids or pets who make messes, you'll understand how easily carpet can get stained. Red Kool Aid should be banned from grocery store shelves...along with "washable" markers....but I digress...
Awhile back a friend of mine told me how to get out stubborn stains in carpet and I've used this trick several times since! There's been a spot in my son's room since we moved in and I'm just now getting around to dealing with it (in my defense, it was previously covered up with furniture-out of sight, out of mind!)


As you can see, the stain I started with was pretty small, but I have NO idea what it is or how long it's been there. All I know is that it's red, in the middle of the open floor in my son's room, and I wanted it gone! 
 First, gather your materials: 
1) an iron 
 2) a damp WHITE rag towel (it must be white to ensure the color of the towel doesn't bleed on to your carpet)  
3) hydrogen peroxide 
 *Disclaimer--If you have dark carpet, I'd test this somewhere inconspicuous to ensure the peroxide does not lighten your carpet. I've only used this method on light brown/tan carpets)

Pour some of the peroxide on the stain, enough to make the carpet damp and be sure to cover the entire stain.

Place the damp towel on top of the stain, then place the hot iron on top of the towel. It will steam and sizzle, just let it sit for about 45 seconds to a minute or once the steam starts to slow down.

Lift the towel and you should see some or all of the stain on the towel!! (Mine showed up very lightly and is hardly visable in the photo)


Repeat the steps until the stain is gone or significantly lighter. Make sure your towel stays damp as you repeat the steps to ensure you don't burn the towel.

As you can see, my stain is not entirely gone, however a small, yellowish brown spot is MUCH less noticeable than the original red spot I started with!
I have used this method before and have completely removed a 2 year old stain (a red, felt tree skirt got wet and stained a pretty large spot in the carpet at our last home). 
 Try it out and let me know if it worked for you! 

-A

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you for posting this. I'm not a mother, but I'm a clumsy person. I have a lot of stains on my carpet and I will definitely try this trick. I hope this trick works on my stains. This trick is so much cheaper than renting a carpet cleaner. Thanks again.

    Alison Norman @ Power Boss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once the ground is actually thoroughly clean, and also the baseboards happen to be eliminated or even guarded adequately, start in order to fine sand. flooring services

    ReplyDelete